Competition for jobs is expected to become increasingly competitive over the coming months as we continue to navigate the Covid-19 pandemic. The team at MorePeople are here to help you stand out from the crowd and secure your next career move.
Top job-hunting tips in the current climate:
1. Call the company or recruiter to discuss your skillset before submitting your CV. A recruiter will know if you have the background that the hiring manager is looking for, so be honest about your experience.
2. Find a recruitment business that you get on with and can have open conversations with about your current situation, your work history and your aspirations. This will enable them to be more proactive in your search as well.
3. It’s never been more important to tailor your CV to the job that you’re applying for. Gone are the days of firing the same CV off to multiple jobs and achieving success.
4. Get a friend to look over your draft CV as it’s easier for someone else to give you advice on how to sell yourself. A good recruiter will be able to advise you on CV content and formatting, but they can’t write it for you!
5. Getting somebody else to check your CV first will also ensure that you haven’t made any glaring grammar or spelling mistakes – a big ‘no-no’ at the best of times!
6. If you are asked to write a covering letter/email, try to find out who to address it to rather than resorting to ‘Dear Sir/Madam’. This immediately suggests that it’s a generic letter that is used for any application.
7. Follow up applications with a courteous phone call, especially if you’re lacking some of the qualifications or experience outlined in the job advert. This shows that you’re genuinely interested and will ensure you become a ‘real person’ to the recruiter helping you find a job.
8. When you’re preparing for an interview, make the most of the information about the company that is available online. Recent news articles, posts and career histories on LinkedIn are invaluable and even social media channels like Instagram will give you useful background and insight. There are no excuses not be well informed these days!
If you want any more information about any of the roles we are currently recruiting for, please do give us a call on 01780 480530 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.